Home » News » GSU Cop Who Lured Woman To House To Rape Her Jailed

GSU Cop Who Lured Woman To House To Rape Her Jailed

Spread the love

A former General Service Unit (GSU) officer who raped his former sister-in-law on February 9, 2017, at the Ruaraka headquarters in Nairobi to get back at his wife for dumping him has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) stated on Friday, May 13 that Anthony Ongere Moseti alias Kevin Ongere, was handed the sentence by a Magistrate Court following investigations by the authority.

IPOA noted that the investigation was prompted by a complaint lodged with the Authority following the incident.

“The investigations were informed by among other lawful provisions, Section 6 of IPOA Act which demands the Authority to investigate any complaints related to disciplinary or criminal offences committed by any member of the (police) service, whether on its own motion or on receipt of a complaint and make recommendations to the relevant authorities, including recommendations for prosecution,” the statement read in part.

GSU officers during the Dusit D2 terror attack. /NAIROBI NEWS

Following the investigation that established criminal culpability, IPOA forwarded the case file to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) with the recommendation that Moseti be charged with rape contrary to Section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act.

The ODPP, upon reviewing the file, allowed for the officer to be charged having come to an agreement with the Authority that there was enough evidence to sustain a trial in a court of law.

The woman had visited the high-level security establishment in response to a telephone call made by the officer, who was well known to her. She was 27-years-old then.

The officer received her at the main gate and her entry was recorded in the visitor’s book in accordance with security measures in place at the GSU headquarters, which hosts the elite formation of the National Police Service (NPS) and its officers are trained in paramilitary skills.

The officer, however, gave a different name and a false police service number after receiving the woman – he faced disciplinary proceedings for making false records – the court heard.

The offence was initially reported to senior officers after the woman managed to leave the officer’s house located at the residence quarters within the GSU headquarters. During the fateful day, he had left the house to fetch some vegetables.

The investigation, during which the woman has reported she was threatened with a panga, was, in turn, referred to the Muthaiga police station for investigation.

“According to PW1 (the complainant), Muthaiga police station took a long time to arrest the culprit. She then reported the matter to IPOA,” the Magistrate noted in his judgement.

A police detective was among nine witnesses called by the prosecution during the hearing and had told the court that IPOA came in after the complainant reported to Muthaiga police station and felt that nothing was being done.

After the prosecution closed its case the officer was placed on defence following a ruling that “he had a case to answer.”

Image of a man in a cell with handcuffs. /FILE

The investigation involved medical examinations including lifting and analysing DNA profiles of the accused and the victim.

“This court has carefully considered the evidence tendered by the prosecution and particularly the complainant and the defense raised by the accused person. This court reaches the verdict that indeed the prosecution established that the act was not consensual,” part of the judgement read.

Related News

Govt Moves To Punish Rogue Bosses

By Marvin Chege | 2022-05-29 06:21

About author:

Read more Stories from

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Around the web