Home » Online » Sonko’s Tweet On 2012 Eastleigh Attack Draws MP’s Attention

Sonko’s Tweet On 2012 Eastleigh Attack Draws MP’s Attention

Kamukunji Member of Parliament (MP) Yusuf Hassan has called upon the police to revisit the case of a grenade attack that occurred on December 6, 2012, which left him badly injured. 

Hassan was referring to a tweet on Monday, August 23 by former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko which had alleged that the county boss had more information on the matter. 

Ati wewe, Kananu, Abbas, Nixo munanichorea kumbavu nyinyi waizi wa pesa ya umma grabbers wa mashamba za watu. Mimi sio Yusuf yule ulijaribu kuuwa na grenade nyangau wewe. (Kananu, Abbas, Nixo, you’re taking me for a fool while stealing from public coffers. I’m not Yusuf whom you tried to kill with a grenade)” he explicitly tweeted. 

Kamukunji Member of Parliament Yusuf Hassan. /NAIROBI NEWS

Speaking to journalists at the Pangani police station on Monday, August 23, Hassan urged the police to investigate the case further and question Sonko on the matter so as to get justice.

“If the former Governor (Mike Sonko) has the information, I’m urging police to investigate and find out what happened so that we get justice,” he urged.

The attack had occurred at the al-Hidaya community centre in Eastleigh and left him nursing serious injuries.

“I survived because I had just moved from the epicentre of the attack. I missed by a whisker as two or three people who were standing with me and had moved a few seconds before I died,” he told the Nation in a previous interview.

After the attack, Hassan lost muscles on the left leg and suffered a broken right leg. One of his arms was shattered as he also suffered secondary burns and had to endure shrapnel stuck in his body.

The soft-spoken lawmaker spent weeks at the Aga Khan hospital before he was moved to South Africa where he underwent reconstructive surgery. By April 2013, his left leg and hands had healed but his right leg was amputated.

“The leg had broken bones. They were removed, but still it would not heal, and I had to go through a second operation. The doctors then decided to amputate because ‘it was not healing properly”.

Hassan, however, went to the Hospital for Special Surgery, a top orthopedic facility in the US, where doctors performed a third operation that saved his leg.

Yusuf spent five years in a wheelchair and crutches before he could walk on his own.

The aftermath of the 2012 Eastleigh grenade attack. /REUTERS

Source link


Related News

More Than 30 Bodies Recovered From River

By Marvin Chege | 2022-01-18 11:54

Linah Mwangi
About author: Experienced Investigative Journalist

Read more Stories from Linah

Leave a Reply

Around the web