Magoha Changes Date Of Reopening Schools Again
The communication supersedes an earlier communication that revealed that schools would be reopened on Monday, August 15, 2022
Education Cabinet Secretary, George Omore Magoha has announced that the reopening date for all schools has been pushed to Thursday, August 18, 2022.
In a statement on Saturday, August 13, Magoha revealed that the elections vote tallying process was still ongoing, prompting another change in the opening date.
The communication supersedes an earlier communication that revealed that schools would be reopened on Monday, August 15, 2022.
"Following the conduct of our National Elections on Tuesday, August 9, 2022, the process of tallying ballots is still ongoing.
Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha addresses Manyatta Primary School pupils in Kisumu on March 24, 2021. /DAILY NATION
"Therefore, following further consultations, I hereby convey the Government's decision on the suspension of the re-opening of ALL Basic Education institutions with effect from Monday, August 15, 2022, until Thursday, August 18, 2022," the statement read.
"This communication supersedes any earlier communication on the re-opening of basic education institutions."
Magoha had explained on Wednesday, August 10 that the changes were orchestrated by delays in the ongoing vote tallying process.
He further asked parents to ignore the initial communication that indicated that schools would reopen on Thursday, August 11.
“We have however been informed that the process of tallying of ballots may still be ongoing on the aforementioned date. Therefore, following further consultations, I hereby convey the Government’s decision that Basic Education Institutions will re-open from Monday, 15th August 2022."
Magoha sent apologies to the parents, guardians and learners who might be affected by the sudden changes in opening dates.
“We apologize for any inconvenience occasioned by these changes and ask for your indulgence, as we work through ensuring the safety and comfort of learners through this period,” he added.
Magoha on Monday, August 8 warned that the opening date of schools may change depending on the environment of the August 9 general elections.
The CS had noted that the dates were tentative and subject to change in the event the elections go into a repeat. He also warned of the national examinations calendar being affected.
The 2022 academic year consists of four national exams; the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE), Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE), and the Grade Three and Six exams under the Competency-Based Curriculum (CBC). The calendar is different from the usual calendars given that it includes the CBC exams.
KCPE exams will be undertaken between November 28 and December 1, while KCSE will commence between December 1 and 23.
The Grade Six exam will be done between November 28-30, an exam which has already seen 1.27 million candidates registered to sit the first exam under the new curriculum which will see them join junior secondary schools.
The CBC Grade 6 exam will make up for 40 per cent of the total score while the Grade 4, 5 and 6 school-based assessments will take the rest, being 60 per cent.